This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Davec
Always found it a bit frustrating that i am unable to start my Electra X and leave it running whilst on the side stand. I know you can disable the switch circuit but then you could ride off with the stand down.
My solution (if it works) is to connect a small signal relay into the neutral light circuit. The side stand switch circuit is then broken and wired via the normally closed contacts of the relay, so the operation is,
Side stand down and bike in neutral the relay is operated so the contacts are open allowing you to start the bike. So if the bike is then put in gear the relay releases and the contacts close and the engine cuts out.
Has anyone else tried this? I have a small pcb mount relay which I have soldered some wires to but have not had the chance to connect up yet.
By Wheaters
I can't help with the circuitry (especially as my 350 is kickstart only) but my other bike, a Honda CB750 Nighthawk, is factory wired like that.
By tjupille
I just unplugged the switch and let it go at that. The sidestand pivots backward, so even if I drive off with it down (which has happened a couple of times) any contact with the ground pivots the stand up.
By Aethelric
Don't worry, pole vaulting around left hand corners can be quite exhilarating :D
By windmill john
Certain side stands on certain bikes lie at enough cant to throw the rear wheel off the ground on a sharp left bend; albeit briefly.... DAMHIK :roll:
By Jojje
Simply disconnect the green wire connection near the side stand. Accelerating from standstill with stand down will hence be audibly warned by a screech - nothing more.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles