This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Haggis
Looks like you have a kilometre speedo. 40mph would give you 65kph.
Someone maybe put the wrong dial face on?
By Adrian
I notice that one Indian supplier on a certain well-known auction web site will sell you a box of ten Smiths replicas for £145 including postage, one of them might be near enough correct!

Other options include tracking down a genuine Chronometric speedo in need of overhaul and getting it calibrated for your front wheel while under repair, or one of the Puca-Smiths digital Chronometric replicas which you can set up yourself, both of these options will hurt a bit in the £££ department.

A.
By DAKOTAstorm
Its the Indian made replica of the smiths, the kmph now makes perfect sense with such an over read. I did think about that last night but not for the gauge, I was going more down the gear ratio route and wondered if I had the wrong one, but that was confirmed as others with the 2:1.

Unfortunately it is now just outside its warranty period, I bought it last year whilst building the bike in the USA, its been fitted for about 200 miles but as there is no check for vehicle serviceability and everyone speeds, I was the slowest on the road so got away with it. Now in the UK and the requirement for an MOT, it would fail if it was noticed.

They have offered a gauge that is unbranded, again built in India but checked in house. I'll drop them an email with the Kmph query.
By stinkwheel
If it's reading miles as km, you could fit a readily available off the shelf speedo converter" designed to make European imports read in mph on the km/h face. (effectively a 1.64: 1 reduction gearbox). They fit on the back of the clock or on the speedo drive.

Probably more expensive than a replacement clock at £35 though. I remember them being much cheaper.
By Aethelric
I replaced my kph one because it was very unstable. The bike is a 2004 model and I think that the needle swinging about is common in older instruments. The POs seem to have got it through the MOT ok, On a couple of certificates, the tester had added a not to say "mileage in kilometers "h
By stinkwheel
Interestingly, the speedo function is not tested as part of the MOT. It just has to be present.

I've put a supermoto conversion through the MOT which blatantly didn't have a speedo drive or cable fitted and had exactly the same mileage for four consecutive years. The tester noticed but said it's not part of the test. It is however, a construction and use offence, although I doubt a copper is going to go so far as to check your speedo is working.
By Wheaters
It is apparently legal to have a speedometer calibrated only in KPH (Well, we're in Europe, ain't we)?

My Japan home market Honda CB750 is like this and has been through quite a few MOT tests since I moved back to UK from overseas in 1998 and brought it home with me.

The MOT stations record the odometer as indicating kilometres rather than miles. "Kilometrage"?

But it's certainly no defence in court if you're caught speeding! Having owned a UK car overseas as well as locally produced ones, I don't find it a problem (now) to mentally convert the reading on the speedo to the actual speed limit.
But almost 40 years ago I did get an "on the spot" speeding fine in Germany for allegedly driving my UK car at 52 kph in a 50 kph area, right outside my workplace. My wife thought it hilarious, so did the Polizei when I had to cadge some Deutschmarks off her to pay it! Bar $tewards! :x

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles