This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Wheaters
I've discovered that the common trend is to make these bikes more long legged by increasing the gearbox sprocket diameter. My slightly tuned, 4 speed 350, on standard 16/38 gearing, annoyed me on long hills because of the large gap between 3rd and top. Third was too short, 4th too tall. I decided to optimise the bike for unmade roads (I often use it to explore byways and unclassified roads) and fitted a larger rear sprocket (46 teeth). Although it reduced the top speed, it transformed the mid range of the bike and the bike pulled far better up those long hills, without me having to constantly change gear. Unfortunately a 350 doesn't quite have the grunt of a 500.

I'm now looking forward to trying out the 5 speed box I've fitted; I've retained its standard 18 tooth sprocket. The overall gearing of the bike will now be somewhere between the two previous setups. The two advantages I see with the 5 speed box are more evenly spaced ratios and 1st gear is lower. Hopefully this will be the best overall compromise for me.
By vince
Hi, the standard gearbox sprocket for a redditch 350 bullet was 15t. As I stated on previous blog most british 350 are geared around 5.8 top gear and 500 around 5. Therefore a standard indian bullet is overgeared at 5.2. Putting overlarge sprockets will cause the engine to lug and have poor throttle response. Correctly geared there would be no need to shift down when climbing hills. Vince
By singleminded
'Correctly geared there would be no need to shift down when climbing hills.'

That's rather a bold statement, which is, in my experience, incorrect.
By stinkwheel
I would tend to agree. I'm down to second or even first gear on some hills. In fact, I've had to get off my 350 and walk alongside it on a couple of gated roads in the Yorkshire Dales.
By Wheaters
vince wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:42 pm
Hi, the standard gearbox sprocket for a redditch 350 bullet was 15t. As I stated on previous blog most british 350 are geared around 5.8 top gear and 500 around 5. Therefore a standard indian bullet is overgeared at 5.2. Putting overlarge sprockets will cause the engine to lug and have poor throttle response. Correctly geared there would be no need to shift down when climbing hills. Vince
But my bike isn't a Redditch 350, it's a 2004, Indian home market Electra and it came with a 16T gearbox sprocket. ;)

I bought a 15T replacement but when I was offered an as new, 2006 5 speed box for £150, it was silly not to.
By McMurdo
stinkwheel wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:06 pm
I would tend to agree. I'm down to second or even first gear on some hills. In fact, I've had to get off my 350 and walk alongside it on a couple of gated roads in the Yorkshire Dales.
Hi SW, I am also "walking" my 350 trials through the dirt roads of the Dales. Let me know if you want share info etc. :D

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles