This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
windmill john wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:06 pm
We could make other Enfield owners really jealous with our tank removal time.

Bullet.... two bolts, remove hose, lift..... 5 minutes-ish.....

R65... pop back strap, remove hose, lift...... 5 to 10 seconds-ish.... :D

Sorry, still off topic...
Now we know how easy it is to steal a BMW tank... 8-)
Wheaters wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:08 pm
windmill john wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:06 pm
We could make other Enfield owners really jealous with our tank removal time.

R65... pop back strap, remove hose, lift...... 5 to 10 seconds-ish.... :D

Sorry, still off topic...
And the second reserve fuel supply you get by laying the bike down on its left hand cylinder head!

Now we know how easy it is to steal a BMW tank... 8-)
Later Redditch Royal Enfields only have the bolt at the front, and a spring clip over the downtube at the back.

The latest Indian Bullets have changed the tank mounting design again.

On the original subject of the brakes, there's quite a lot about this in the forum archives, we would normally have heard from Tim NZ by now, as he has some quite passionately-held views on the subject.

A.
Hey replies, did not get a message..
Ofcourse i have to defend my findings
I have more bikes with drum brakes, no problem.

Adjusting and setting is not very difficult, you can do it by ear or by eye/feeling with hand when you use the tube over lower lever method.
I am not a fan of 'drilling the trunion'but having the both hinges(whats they called) the same distance as between the cam axle centres, and both cams in resting position, yes.(143,something mms or so)

The brake plates i have, all have different tolerances (the most expensive the biggest) but all the same assymetrie; The distance from the central spindle hole to the both cam axle holes is different from each other.

This makes you have to add 1mm plate to the front brake shoe foot so you can mount and adjust both cams in parralel position, so force is equal at both braking shoes.

Even with both wheels i have, 9 sets of different linings, yes all made on lathe to diameter, it doesn not brake normally.
Sometimes theré s a period of almost decent braking, and that disappears in 1 drive.. sometimes re-adjusting (a symmetry) is needed, many time you don't get the same linings working ever again (graphite fouling from drum on the linings?)

Other thing is when installing brake cams half the width of the original ones, so 2ce the force on the linings, you cannot notice any positive effect, but more the opposite; worse braking?

Then you know something is not right.. besides all the faults in the brake plate, the croocked and bended brake cams, the material on the drums must be a cause.
The money i spent over the years onthis brake, i could buy a beautifull Grimeca 4LS from it, plus a set of good tires..

For the people who claim to have a decent working brake; What did you do to it??
When bike is in 3rd gear, i canpuul front brake hard as i can and accelerate..
Hi Jawa/Enfield – I don’t know what to make of your brake problems. They seem to have provoked a disproportionate amount of ‘rectification’ from you.

We all know this brake isn’t the world’s best, at best it's serviceable, in most cases adequate. Our host’s tech note on adjustment has been proved to work. I notice you’re not keen to drill the trunnion. Not sure why. It works and may work for you. Who knows.

But you seem to have a problem with no solution. Wouldn’t be anything to do with expectations I guess?
"This makes you have to add 1mm plate to the front brake shoe foot so you can mount and adjust both cams in parralel position, so force is equal at both braking shoes."

I might have misunderstood but it sounds like an "unusual" adjustment technique is being used. I've never read anything about having to get the brake-plate levers parallel by shimming the shoes! :?:

To clarify, I slacken off the rod connecting the two levers on the brake plate so that the smaller one isn't yet applying any force with the handlebar lever pulled.

I then adjust the cable so the handlebar lever is where I like it with the brake applied. This will be applying force to only the lower cam pivot.

Holding the brake lever hard "on" I then adjust the interconnecting rod so the second cam applies force to the upper ends of the shoes.

I then readjust the cable if needed to fine tune the handlebar lever position to suit my personal grip.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles