This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By pauper
Afternoon all,
Has anybody fitted a chain oiler to a Himalayan? If so, which one, and was it easy/hard to fit and set up, and are you happy with it?
By windmill john
Okay, not to a Himalayan, but my Transalp has a V system Scottoiler.

I've always spent all my money on bits for bikes and never justified an oiler, always doing it by hand.
However, as my Transalp already had one fitted, so nothing to lose.

I have to say I've been very impressed. I literally just check the reservoir every couple of weeks and top up as necessary.

Scottoiler has good videos on how to fit, prime etc. I did run out of oil once, but priming it is straightforward.

Personally if I had to buy one, I'd manually lube, but that me for you! That initial outlay of £100.....
By Andy C
I once had an MZ Skorpion fitted with an automatic Scottoiler by the previous owner, I found it a very good piece of kit once you have the thing set correctly. If it over supplies the chain it gets pretty messy.

I also used to have a Kawasaki KH500 fitted with a Tutoro chain oiler - less expensive than a Scottoiler, but worked well enough - just checked their website and they are a lot more expensive nowadays.

These days I just use a decent chain lube and apply it to the chain once a month or so depending on weather conditions.

Just a few thoughts.
By stinkwheel
There is also a cheap option in the form of a loobman. It's not really "automatic" as such, you push a button when you set off and it trickles a dose of oil onto the chain as you ride along. The early ones used a squeezy bottle. You can put any old oil in it. I used to just use old engine oil.

They work well.

http://www.loobman.co.uk
By Rattlebattle
I recently fitted a Scottoiler to my H*nda. I chose the e version as I didn't want to mess around plumbing into the air intake on a V4. My one is wired directly to the battery and works on vibration, even on a smooth engine like the H*nda has. It is easily adjustable and works very well. I just use ordinary oil on my C5; it would double it's value fitting a fancy Scottoiler......
By pauper
Thanks for your replies. I think i'll see how i get on just doing it by hand for the time being. The old Bullet I used to have had a breather hose directing oil mist at the chain as Stinkwheel said, but we are in a different era now and even my Royal Enfield has got ABS! What puts me off a bit is little tubes tied to the frame with cable ties. Thay might not like being thwacked by twigs when i go up a rough track, such as the one that leads to our house! If i did fit one, i quite like the idea of using biodegradable chainsaw chain oil in it. Although it might make the woodmice eat the oiler or delivery tube when the Himalayan's stored in the shed, they gnawed through the bottle of chainsaw oil.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles