This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Adrian
I have read your comments papasmurf, and I would back up what the others have said. I think you are using the same words for different things.

For most of us, we understand the sump to be the bottom of the crankcase compartment under the crankshaft. The pre-UCE/EFI design Bullet, whether classic, Electra-X or Electra-ish, is for a DRY sump, i.e. all the oil that gets flung into it from the big end or scraped off the cylinder walls is immediately slurped up (all being well) by the scavenge pump and sent up to the rockers, whence it drains down past the pushrods, into the timing chest and back to the oil tank. NO OIL IS SUPPOSED TO BE STORED IN THE SUMP, most of it lives in the OIL TANK.

The dip stick fits into the oil tank, which is a SEPARATE chamber next to the sump. It is still part of the main crankcase casting, but divided from the crankcase proper by an internal wall, so that oil from the oil tank does not run into the sump unless there's something wrong with the the joint faces.

A certain amount of oil is supposed to remain inside the timing chest, wet sumping occurs when oil leaks from here into the sump. Leakage can occur particularly on the Electra-X where there is no seal behind the timing pinion, it just relies on the high capacity of the scavenge pump to drain it quickly on start-up. Or should do.

A.
By Daiwiskers
Thank you Adrian
Being dyslexic I can come over a bit blunt I get frustrated not being able to get things over as I mean to
No offense meant to anyone
Cheers all Dai
By papasmurf
Daiwiskers wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:37 pm
Sorry still don't know how to edit

Sorry that came out sounding wrong
Wet sumping plenty about it on the forum
The oil is probably up by the air filter
The dipstick you have made is surely for the oil tank not the sump
I have followed ALL the comments about wet sumping on this forum for several years. My bike has always wet sumped within minutes of switching the engine off. That is why I made my own dip stick to measure the depth of oil in the sump with a cold engine.
That is not the problem I have currently. Oil has disappeared I just checked again today. There is still at least two inches of oil missing.
Frankly I am so hacked off with the bike I may make a decision later today to give the effing thing away to the first person who rocks up with a van or trailer to take it away.
By Presto
Like everyone else [almost] I’m completely baffled by this ‘dry sump’ engine having 5 [yes FIVE] inches depth of oil in the sump!! That would be oil in the SUMP about halfway up the crankshaft. And this is ‘always’ the case with this engine!! And you don’t create a neighborhood smoke screen every time the bike is fired-up!!

Either we’ve a problem with nomenclature or a BIG problem with this engine!! :cry: or ;)
By Wheaters
Papasmurf, again, please tell us where your homemade dipstick actually goes into the engine.

Do you mean that you put it where the oil filler and normal dipstick sits?

If so, that is NOT the sump, it's the oil tank.
By papasmurf
Wheaters wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:14 am
Papasmurf, again, please tell us where your homemade dipstick actually goes into the engine.

Do you mean that you put it where the oil filler and normal dipstick sits?

If so, that is NOT the sump, it's the oil tank.
I have now posted in the bikes for sale area of the forum. It is free to a good home because frankly I can no longer be bothered with it.
For what it's worth, the oil has probably gone into the crankcase via wet sumping, but over 3 weeks, it will have probably reached the drive side main bearing level and seeped into the primary case. if you drain this, I am pretty certain you will find your 'missing' oil.
By Simon D
Mr Smurf,
Would it possible, before you leave us, to post a picture of this "home made dipstick" so that I too can measure in "inches" the oil in my sump.
Then maybe a formula could be worked out so what volume, say Centilitres, is equal to per inch.
Many thanks.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles