This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By windmill john
Thanks both.

Oops Wheaters! Forgot that! Yes I remember on my Bings, if float height wrong, big effect on acceleration.

I’ve ordered the jet, I’ll test that then check float height if needed.

Thanks.
By PeteF
"My view is a main jet change is cheaper than a slide change and quicker than a timing change. I think for £3 it’s worth a test."
If the timing is not correct you will chase you tail fiddling with the carb settings.
Has anyone said, the main jet ONLY governs the top of the throttle range. It will not be the cause of it bogging down when you twist the throttle.
By windmill john
Good point PeteF, it was a simple approach.
I've just changed my primary chain oil, probably should have checked timing then.

Still.... I appreciate it could always be a combination of things, float height, advance, jet etc.....
By windmill john
Well, fitted the one size up main jet and went out for a ride this morning.

Slightly less bogging, but it definitely flattens out; runs out of puff.
It’s pretty good and given the time of year and jobs I need to do on my other bike, I’ll leave as is and then next year, look at float height and timing.

As I say, it’s pretty good and I want to get on with riding now.
By windmill john
I’ve just had a look on the Amal site and can see the banjo, but not a filter.

I’m new to British bikes, but have to say for a company which has been going 90 years, there does not appear to be much in the way of exploded diagrams, how tos etc for Amal carbs.... very surprising unless I’m just missing it.
By Daiwiskers
Hi John
Under the banjo that holds the fuel line there is a filter
Hope that makes sense as it is inside the piece that the fuel line joins to
If you remove the banjo you will find it
Cheers Dai
By windmill john
Thanks Dai I'll take a look.

Just worked it out from our hosts exploded view. New to Amal, but getting there.

John
By windmill john
Well, had a nice ride, 28 mile round trip; Gupta running beautifully.

Okay, in the short time I’ve had him, I raised the needle one notch, upped the main jet one step and tweaked their idle mixture which was running too rich.

I’m not experienced with Bullets or Amal carbs, but can say that the ride is much nicer. Pulls cleaner, nice-ish idle.

Now I’m not saying the PO had set it wrong, maybe he either hadn’t fiddled, or had set the carb to be as economical as possible.

BTW Vince, Dai, I cleaned the filter when I got back, it was very clean.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles