This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Andy C
Do all Himalayans make an odd sort of resonance on the throttle?

1000 miles up now and winding the throttle open a bit more, at a constant throttle there is no noise but open it up and there is a resonance that sounds to me like it is comming from the airbox - wondering if perhaps the air filter is vibrating in it's mounting.

No vibration just a resonance - very similar to the induction noise my old MZ used to make.

Any thoughts ?
By Leon Novello
There`s only one way to find out; open the air box and feel if it is loose, if it is, stuff some cardboard in there to jam it tight and go for a ride. If the resonance is still there, go to the pub.
By Duke of Wybourne.
I've ridden 4 of them plus my own, and they have all been the same. Ignore it. Personally I think it's induction noise, and or resonance. I've had a look and found nothing amiss. If mine blows up, I'll let you all know. :lol:
By Andy C
Duke of Wybourne. wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:24 pm
I've ridden 4 of them plus my own, and they have all been the same. Ignore it. Personally I think it's induction noise, and or resonance. I've had a look and found nothing amiss. If mine blows up, I'll let you all know. :lol:
I have ridded 2 and they are both the same. Might open up the air box and take a look to see if the filter is rattling around.

As you say probaly best ignored.
By Duke of Wybourne.
Andy C wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:48 pm
Duke of Wybourne. wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:24 pm
I have ridded 2 and they are both the same. Might open up the air box and take a look to see if the filter is rattling around.

As you say probaly best ignored.
It doesn't make any difference regarding how much fuel is in the tank, which would indicate it's not resonance coming from there. It can sound a bit unnerving at first, but I've learned to live with it. In my experience, it's worse giving it throttle when climbing hills.
By Jack the Lad
Any resonance is most likely to be coming from the headlamp rim vibrating against the shell - a fairly common problem. Worth testing for before you start fiddling with mechanical bits. Hold it firmly when you rev the engine & if the resonance has gone away, there's your problem. I tried packing with bits of rubber, foam, tape which worked for a bit. Silicone bath sealant has been the best so far.
By Andy C
Jack the Lad wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:37 am
Any resonance is most likely to be coming from the headlamp rim vibrating against the shell - a fairly common problem. Worth testing for before you start fiddling with mechanical bits. Hold it firmly when you rev the engine & if the resonance has gone away, there's your problem. I tried packing with bits of rubber, foam, tape which worked for a bit. Silicone bath sealant has been the best so far.
Interesting - never though of that as being the source of the resonance.

I'll take a look but it sounds like it is coming from the region of the air box.
By Jack the Lad
It's difficult to pinpoint sounds because they reflect, especially off the screen. Trust me, it will be the headlamp, wherever it sounds like it's coming from!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles