This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Mann
Evening All,

Does anyone know the exact size of the rear axle nut on a 2018 (Euro 4) Classic C5?

I have a 24mm open spanner which fits but feels a smidge loose, I wonder if a 15/16 imperial spanner will fit better or if it will be too small? Any advice Welcome.

Thanks
By stinkwheel
It'll be metric, just badly made. If you're using the spanner from the tool kit, it's likely to be equally badly made. The combination of the two... A vernier or rule across the flats will tell you what size it ACTUALLY is.

In an ideal world, use a box spanner or a 6-point socket/ring rather than an open spanner. Much less likely to round it off.
By Mann
Ha ha, Thanks, I wasn’t aware the tolerances are so ‘loose’! I reckon the close proximity of the nut to the exhaust may prevent me getting a ring spanner onto it, I certainly couldn’t get a 24mm socket on it earlier.

I will get a digital vernier onto it when I can find we’re i last put it down and check the size of the nut
By stinkwheel
Just looked at some pictures of your model. I wonder if it would be easier to get on it with a socket with the bike sitting on its wheels to compress the suspension a bit, remove the nut, then put it on the mainstand to pull the axle and remove the wheel.

I suppose we should be thankful they put the axle in that way round. I've had Japanese bikes where they put the nut on the side opposite the exhaust so you couldn't get the axle out without removing the exhaust. I'm sure they do stuff like that deliberately to stop you working on your own bike.
By Mann
Thanks for the link, I have just got a 24mm ring spanner on it and it’s got a very small amount of play, not enough to worry about (but would be on an open ended spanner), anyway I have also put a digital Micrometer on it and it comes up at 23.92mm so I reckon a 15/16 ring spanner will be exact

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles