This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By mr murf
hello new to forum my name is murf im a right leg amputee and I ride a 2007 re 500 avl leann burn
I need a bike with electric start as I cant kick them any more .ive been offered a bullet 500 avl engine
as a spare for my bike all the guy has is the engine complete with gear box he says its a 500
but for I know it could be a 350 how can I tell with out stripping it down thanks murf
By Adrian
It most likely is a 500, the 350s AVL engines were never official imports here. However there**are** some around, so it's not actually a bad idea to check. If you can note down the number on this engine (left hand crankcase, under the cylinder) someone here could probably advise the correct numbering sequence for a 500.

The 500s and SOME later 350s were electric start, but if there's no starter motor and no cast lugs to take a starter motor at the front of the right hand crankcase, then it's a kickstart only bike which would only ever have been a 350. These also have the outer primary cover held on by a central bolt, not the ten screw cover your Electra-X has. With later E/S 350 AVLs it's harder to tell, but the 500 export Electra-X usually had polished timing and gearbox outer covers, the 350s usually were silver-grey powder coated. If the head's off, just measure the bore, 84mm diameter (or oversize) is a 500.

Hope this helps.

A.
By mr murf
thank for the input it was helpful ive been back to take another look at the engine
the engine number 4ls5-0009h if that's any help as I said before the engine is complete
with 5 speed gearbox and starter motor and carb he is asking £400.00 for it not sure if that's a good price or not
ill stick with my 500 avl I like a challenge plus I don't mind getting my hands dirty :lol:
By PopSmoke
My o6 500 is an es. i also needed electric state, m.s. took the ability to kick start away. There are a lot of riders who are converting their new RE from fuel injection to a regular carb. new isn't always the best thing.Good luck with your project. Don't give up hope there's a way to do it if you really want it. Go to the forums some one has gone it.
By Adrian
I'd take it off his hands for that money, as long as the engine isn't making any horrible clonking noises, assuming the seller is prepared/able to kick it over for you. One more point to note concerning the 350 versus 500 question. The cylinder studs will be be more closely spaced on the 350 than the 500. I'll get out to the garage and let you have some measurements for the 500.

A.
By Rushour
The engine number indicates that this is an Electra X engine - 500 cc August 2004 build - and that seems like a good price to me too.
By Adrian
Thanks Rushour, I knew someone would be able to confirm this.

I'd still buy that engine and gearbox, but with one caution. The crank pins on the early 500 models do not have a good reputation, quite a few let go of their hardening around the 15,000-17,000 mile mark spraying the inside of the engine with abrasive steel particles. I have some "after" photos from my 2005 Electra's engine. As the engine IS a very early one I'd therefore set aside some extra money for a replacement con-rod and big-end kit, our hosts have one with a UK-made crank pin and sleeved big-end eye, item 90125C.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles