This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By PopSmoke
I'm lost , what was the factory carb? I;m ditching the air box. any ideas? :idea: Everybody wants to sell their product, and have no knowledge of an royal enfields problems, but-- cant answer my question. I thank you for your knowledge . 8-)
By stinkwheel
Yours is an iron barrel 500, separate gearbox, points ignition right?

Those would have come with a "mikcarb" which is a licenced copy of a Mikuni VM28 made in India.

You ought to be able to jet/slide an actual VM28 to suit. Although used mikcarbs go on UK auction sites for sweetie money and our hosts do a kit to re-brass them with mikuni parts.

Many people fit a 30mm Amal MK1 Concentric which is a very known quantity for these bikes. Make sure you get the "premier" version if you're shopping around. They have a hardened slide and are generally better finished, I had a non-premier one on my 350 bullet and the slide/carb body had worn one another to oblivion in 30k miles.
By windmill john
Mind if I jump on.... sort of related, but didn’t want to start a separate topic...

If you want me to post separately, let me know.

My 2002/3 350 Bullet, 4 speed, kickstart. PO has fitted an Amal Monobloc. I’m not after power, per se, just wondered on views.

Starts well, but I will be tweaking the needle at the weekend. Cruising speed up to 50mph, not expecting more, but it is running weak at mid range.

No tuning tips needed, just want to know the general thought of the Monobloc, thanks.
By PopSmoke
I think the float may be shot,just 2599 miles. I can't speak for the two other owners, but they were sloppy. It cleaned up properly and ran well in a parking lot, with side car. it's easier to start off with a new part and know that part is good. Royal Enfield only uses so many parts for one bike. Building a new to me bike, the rest of the bike was well cared for.
By Presto
Although there are endless opinions about Amal carbs the fact is that Monoblocs and Concentrics perform perfectly well on a wide range of engines, have done for dozens of years, on tens of thousands of bikes in all forms of road riding and competition.

Any idea that they are ‘deficient’ or ‘sub-standard’ is prejudice and isn’t supported by the facts. I know all the arguments about Concentrics being 'designed-down-to-a-price' but in my experience most problems that it is claimed undermine their reputation are results of poor tuning or poor maintenance.
By Adrian
The Electra-X was factory fitted with the CV carb, papasmurf, your Electra-X-ish sounds like it has one as well, but I think we're dealing with a classic or iron barrel engine in this case.

If an Amal ends up as your preferred option, PopSmoke, I'd suggest the Premier version of the Mark 1 Concentric. If you decide on a Mikuni conversion and you're in the USA, Niche Cycle sell the same VM conversion kits as our hosts. I wouldn't recommend an alternative supplier if you were in the UK, but in your case you could save a few $$$ on shipping and customs fees.

A.
By windmill john
Air foibles!!

Coldish this morning. So full choke, but still had to blip the throttle.
Okay, so another day, why not try not halfish choke and no throttle, no start!
Okay, so another day, why not try full choke and no throttle, no start!
Okay, so another day, why not try no choke and no throttle, no start!
Okay, so another day, why not try no choke and a bit of throttle, no start!

So, at this temp, full choke, a blip and all's well.... so, shouldn't that be the same as not quite full choke and no throttle?....
Well yes... but it's not..... :roll:

Ahhh, carbs hey? (I know, I know, you'll say with no throttle it's pulling through the jets... probably.. still....)

At least when it's warmer, no choke and a blip and all's well. :D

Still, I suppose I could have a air temp sensor, an air flow sensor, a variable height inlet track.. ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles