This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By ROCKER 59
IF YOU SAY YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AN AUTHENTIC BRITISH CLASSIC, IT HAS TO BE THE IRON BARRELL MODELS AS THE OTHER NEWER MODELS ARE NOT IN THE SAME CATAGORY.
By Craig

Yes Buy ONE...

Why? .. We all enjoy them No mater what Model..

And I Think that Most People Who come on here WANT ONE They Just Need Reasurance......

My Advice ..Buy ANY Enfield for around about £1500 , & if You dont Like it You will get your Money Back... As Long as You Can Change Oil & filter Then Hope fully tappitets & tighten the Od Belt & Chain You Will be OK for the Next 10 years...

REGARDLESS OF MODEL with Hitchcocks you Can turn it in too any one Type of Bike You like....

Me I Like the 4Spped Classic Iron, But Know where your Comeing From with regards elec start... The 65 Good Choice.. Electra Why Not...

Oh! And they are Great in the snow.....

BUY Enjoy & Welcome to the Club... Cheers all Craig

P'S What Part of the Country are You IN?

By Mo

Thanks for all your posts guys, very much appreciated & yet
another reason for me to buy an Enfield.

Yep sanity clause checked Fritzboy - mad as a hatter so OK
there then, marital security - 40+ years so she’ll never get anyone else now,
and standing in the community – I ride a motorbike nuff said.

From all of your comments it’s obvious that everyone has
their own personal preference re model type, authenticity etc which is only to
be expected but I was looking for re-assurance re buying an Enfield in the first
place (and you’re right Craig, I DO want one) and thanks to you guys that’s
what I’ve got . 

I think given my (very) limited mechanical skills and
preferences for e/s, l/h change, ideally a disk brake, and minimum fettling it’s
gonna be the Electra x – unless you can really frighten me off rog – or ideally
if funds permit, an Electra Efi.

I’m hoping to get something sorted within the next couple of
weeks so will keep you posted. Thanks again all for your input.

By dr slooooww
I'd go for one of the new Bullet 500s. You get the old style looks (better, I think, than the Classic efi), but with the modern engine and left sided gearchange.
By Durham Tim

Hi Mo,

I think we sometimes get a bit hung-up on the maintenance aspects of the fine brand which we all love. On the other hand, perhaps I "buck the trend" re the traditional profile of an Enfield owner?

I bought my first Bullet, a 500 classic in 2004 whilst on holiday in Goa, India. I proceeded to sell it a year later purely on the basis of wanting something a bit faster. (A Honda Hornet and then eventually a Kwak ZX9R). Two years later I decided I'd made a "mistake" and sold the Kwak to buy one of the last 350 Bullet Classics.

I must admit my mechanical prowess is Zero! (I can just about manage an oil change). I'm not just a fair-weather biker neither, and enjoy the Bullet Classic so much I ride all year round unless there's ice or grit on the road. I have it serviced locally by a well-trained mechanic at a small Suzuki dealership, who loves working on old British iron. I'm jealous of our more knoweldgeable friends on this site, but on the other hand am fortunate enough to have the means to have it regulalry serviced at reasonable rates.

At times I wonder if I'm the "right person" for a Bullet Classic....until I get on it and can't stop smiling from ear to ear.

Whichever model you buy, you won't regret it!!

By Alan R
Hello again matey---- one other thing that I personally would reccomend before you buy, and that is ---------------------- get to know where your local RE Owners Club is situated and ---go along!! You will see the bikes in action---talk first hand to the owners and, who knows, they might even let you have a little test ride in the car park or whatever. Roughly where are you in the country ?? The REOC has a good spread throughout the land-- you won't be far from one. Even with this crap weather we're having they tend to be a cheerful bunch----you might even get a free pint out of it----I did !! But they know me better now, alas. 
By Navylark

Mo

It appears you have had loads of advice.  I have been riding bikes for over 20 years now and I have only recently taken the plunge to buy a RE.  I have a Classic 350T which I absolutly love.  Like you I had little experience with maintenance but with the help of forum members I have tackled a few jobs.  It is the only bike I have owned where people come and ask about it and want to talk about old bike, all my other bikes have been 10 a penny jap plastic rockets.

I am sure you will love what ever you get but dont be scared by the engineering it is basic stuff.

Cheers Nick

By Mo

Thanks once again to
everyone for all of the advice/tips/information etc. I haven’t had this much
advice since I said I was thinking of getting married J 
Glad to see also that I'm not the only one with 0% mechanical skills!
I'm based in Solihull in the West Mids and yes
I will check out the local owners club – in 
Studley I believe. 

Cheers, Mo

By Mo
Incidentally, my local RE dealer is Arden Motorcycles in Alcester, any one had any dealings with them at all?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles