This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Mo
(Polite) advice wanted please.  Apart from when I was in my late teens I have always had jap bikes but have always hankered after an 'authentic' British classic. Due to my very limited (practically non-existant) mechanical apptitude I never took the plunge. Now I'm retired I'm looking to make up for lost time and fancy a used Woodsman Electra-x or a late Electra Efi.  Bearing in mind my mechanical ineptitude, which is unlikely to improve much, would buying one of these bikes be a wise move?  I love the look of both of these bikes - the fact that they should be relatively trouble free and I also may be able to do any basic maintanance on them adds to the appeal - any thoughts/advice etc would be welcome.  Cheers.
By apparently lucky eddie

If you want an authentic and more original type Bullet then you'll be wanting a four speed classic. Unless I've missed something the modern unit construction, 5speed and efi models are all new Indian models and certainly not copies of old Brits. Only the name is the same.

I don't mean to put you off but the new bikes just ain't the same as the originals and many would say they are certainly no improvement either.

Get out there and give them all a go and see what you fancy then, they're all different and good fun.

Personally I'd go for the oldest 4speed I could find, maybe up to the early 80's before the weight and middle age spread really started to pile on and the bikes got heavier and slower and more restricted.

By JOHNNY SINGLES
I agree you should buy the iron barrel four speed model but I would go for a post 2000 model as these should be a little more reliable and probably have fewer miles on them.
By Mo

Thanks for your views guys. 
The reasons for me looking at the later Enfields is that they would
probably need less ‘fettling’ than the older true Brit models and I do need the
electric start facility for the times when (due to a hip problem) I’m unable to
kickstart the bike.

I appreciate that they are Indian made however to my mind
they are the nearest thing on the market to an old style British bike but with
some modern updates which hopefully could make life – for me certainly – a little
easier. 

I really just need re-assurance that if I bought an Electra-x or a late Electra Efi I would be getting
something reliable and with any day to day maintenance being within my limited mechanical
scope.

By Alan R
Hi there Mo----If I could add a tad more? Like you I have had "left-hookers" all my biking life ( Not the female type---oh I don't know, there was that time out in oz---) No, forget that slight lapse !! Yes, try the iron barrelled for authenticity but consider the Bullet Sixty-Five. Same as the 4-speeders but with the better 5-speed box, L /H change and electric start. An easy transition from a modern bike. Don't forget---the 4-speed gearchange is COMPLETELY the OPPOSITE to what you have been used to all these years- It is }---1 up, 3 down on the R/H side. Against the 65 might be the special black that some came in----not to everyones taste prehaps. Some good examples coming through the various dealers right now though. GOVmnt. HEALTH WARNING !!! Owning an Enfield, mixing with like types and riding along country lanes in  the summer is VERY ADDICTIVE. Check your sanity clause, marital security and general standing in the community before embarking on a life style change that is irrevocable !!! Then------come and join the gang!!!
By Alex.

I wonder where you are located, because my return to Royal Enfield ownership was through renting a bike from A7 Motorcycles in Langholm, just north of Carlisle.  I'm sure others rent them out too, but that is the one I know.

The rental for 24 hours is very reasonable, includes insurance and would let you see how fantastic the EFI models are.

For money reasons, I went for a 2005 Electra X which has been great, and has a left foot gearchange like the EFI, which you are probably most used too.

They have electronic ignition, disk brake and electric start, so all mod cons, although they do seem to have a reputation for breaking the starters (justified or otherwise may depend on whether yours has gone!), but seem to have many happy owners too. 

The iron barrel models are obviously the most direct decendant of the 50's bikes, but whether they are available with electronic ignition or electric start (65?) others would have to tell you.

You'll enjoy any of the Enfields, and a lot of attention if you decide to buy!

By Chris [Stockport]

Hi Mo,

Hope you get one!

I have a couple, one attached to a sidecar. The older one is from 2000 and still going fine. Though admittedly no kick start.... as you want.

Anyway, enjoy!

Best wishes, Chris

By JOHNNY SINGLES
I have three iron barrelled 500 bullets all with lectric start. Two are standard right hand change and one 5 speed lefthand change.  If you are used to lefthand I would go for the 65 model, these come with points ignition as standard but you could have electronic ignition fitted at very little cost although there is nothing wrong with the points system. they also come with front drum brakes but again they have a twin leading shoe and set up correctly work very well.
By rog
Hi Mo, if you're not keen on fettling, I'd go for the Electra EFI model (or the basic Bullet 500 EFI if you buy new). I'd steer clear of the Electra X as although many owners have little trouble with them, a lot do (including me). Despite what others have said above, apart from the engine, the frame and cycle parts are pretty much the same as any other Indian (and therefore pre-1955 British) Bullet. The classic EFI is a bit different (eg 18 inch wheels and revised frame) but it still has an old British bike feel. EFI servicing is also simpler, eg only one oil instead of three as it has modern unit construction. You don't have to check/adjust the valve clearances either.
By Alex.

I would have an EFI anytime, to me it seems a good blend of classic looks and day to day convenience, especially if you just want to polish and ride!

There is a photo of my brother and I touring the Lake District on rented bikes on the first page of the gallery - I really liked that classic......

ALEX.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles