This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Davedup
vince wrote:Hi, just for info what inner case have you fitted. Vince
I don't know as it's been adapted to fit, it's obviously been repaired at some point too.
It is an earlier one as it is fitted with the felt seals.
The mounts for the stator have either been repaired or welded on.
It works and must have got someone out of a hole.
By PeteF
windmill john wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:11 pm
Thanks Bullet, Paul I think.

I put ATF in my primary due to a lot of recommendations. No scientific study, just following a trend I guess.

I recall a number of years ago, being recommended to put it in my forks. Can’t recall what bike it was.

I am a member of a BM forum and there are lots of sage comments there about certain things. But without all this shared knowledge and especially the tips, where would we be...

I remember in 1978 having to write to Motorcycle Mechanics with a question. Of course it took a month for an answer; times they are a changing.

John
Many Honda models stipulate ATF for the forks.
By Jerseyplym
It's probably recommended for forks because it's about 5w which is the same as a lot of fork oils! It also resists frothing quite well.

It makes sense for primary drives because an auto gearbox has clutches or brake bands a bit like a bike clutch, so it won't cause slippage.
Although it gets hot, it doesn't have to deal with soot particles from combustion and very high heat.

My understanding is it's not perfect but its commonly available and cheap!

I've used ATF, 10w40 and 20w50 in the primary of my BSA c15, I can't really say I really noticed any differences between them though.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles