This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Oh definitely a bad stud. That shouldn't have sheared with twice that torque.
The relatively low torque figure is to stop the stud stripping out of the crank case.
Probably also worth mentioning that it's utterly critical to motorcycle engineering (and Enfields in particular) to combine torque wrenches with attentiveness, common sense and feel. If it feels like it's going to strip. STOP.

More fasteners get broken and stripped with a torque wrench than any other sort of wrench. It is no substitute for paying attention to what you're doing.

I was given the advice years ago to get myself a load of fasteners and some scrap material, clamp them in a vice and practice slowly and carefully stripping/shearing them. Once you get the feel for a fastener starting to move from the elastic phase to the plastic phase, you'll be able to stop, wind it out and find out what the problem is before you break stuff.

Same guy als told me to always check for the click on your torque wrench in the vice before putting it on a fastener. I always do and on a small but significant number of occasions, the click did not happen.

It does make tightening modern brake disc bolts a tad scary (they are deliberately stretched into their plastic phase).
I have two Halfords Pro torque wrenches and the normal go to one, 8Nm to 60Nm, definitely a couple times has not clicked. First time I didn’t notice and carried on cranking!
Like you said I normally find another fastener and test. Or sometimes start at a lower setting to check and build up.

I also bought a very nice one for small work, 4Nm to 20Nm.

I forgot again a couple of weeks ago.... I want to hope I got away with it......
Trouble is, if a fastener feels like it's stripping it's already too late. I dont use a torque wrench all the time but almost always do when the thread is aluminium. It's all too easy to strip out an alloy thread, and getting the thing out is a lot quicker than fitting a Helicoil.
It's worth remembering that torque settings are usually quoted for dry assembly. If oil is present it will effect the torque significantly.
The wrench SHOULD be calibrated regularly as well but a good way round this is to get a few wrenches together from friends and compare them. That's good enough for "shed" work.
Oh, and never leave it set - always back it right off when not in use.
You can calibrate them with a known weight a bit of wire and a rule.

I use 14lb of weight because I have two 7lb avery deadweights. With the drive end clamped in the vice and the handle perpendicular to the ground. If I hang my 14lb weight off a loop of wire exactly 6" from the centre of the drive, that's 7ft/lb. Some error from the weight of the wrench itself but probably within the error on the scale.

If you don't have deadweights, you probably have a pint glass and a tap. A pint of water weighs 1 1/4 lb.

Apparently the deflection-beam type torque wrenches are very accurate, don't rely on a spring so less likely to go out of calibration.
Yes, got next doors as a comparison and will do some tests before progressing slowly from 17 ft/lbs ! parts have just arrived so off to the garage! :-)
Attachments
file.jpg
I bought a electronic one just to check mine against I just check all of mine against the electronic one once a year or so using new battery's
Always back off when not in use and always start them on a low setting after a period of not using (lesson learned after snapping bolt in BMW camshaft)
Dai
Ok, tried fitting the new head studs this evening, simple enough i thought! The new EN8 studs with square end are 5mm longer than the old ones, shouldn't matter but one of my crankcase threaded holes (barrel still fitted) is shorter than the othet by 5mm, it's the furthest toward the primary side. The drilling is clean ( can see the centre of the blind hole), is this common? Point is with the longer stud and the shallower drilling and as it one of the outside ones with a nut it pushes the socket off before anywhere near torque! Guess i will have to cut a bit off the top of the stud, simple job indeed!!! :-)

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles