This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Adrian
I have wondered about the 4 wire TCI alternator stators, you may well have an AC regulator somewhere which controls the output to the headlight. I'm more used to the five wire type, three yellow wires for AC to the three-phase rectifier, plus the two from the TCI trigger which yours will have. A parts book for your actual bike might clear this up.

Here's your inner primary chaincase, I have used them on a couple of bikes. This is the one Electra-X owners need for ditching the electric starter drive lump, I will look up the part no. when I get time.
DSCN8129.JPG
Meanwhile, here's the earlier CDI alternator which takes the traditional Bullet inner primary cover, CDI charging coil at the top. There's a reluctor and trigger coil that goes with it, the CDI box sits up under the seat like the later TCI box does.
DSCN7015.JPG
A.
By Wheaters
Yes, that is the same inner case as the one I have. The alternator is very different. So it is the TCI ignition, not CDI - thanks again.

The only snag with this type of ignition is that there is no basic advance adjustment facility and no easy way of even seeing what the advance is actually set to. I have no idea if the advance is fixed, or advanced further with rpm via the control box. Hopefully it is "Bullet" proof...

The outer case of my bike has a blanked off, cast "boss" where a left side gear lever could go if it were machined through.
A parts book would be useful but I've never seen one and my understanding of Hindi and other "local" languages is no good at all.
By Adrian
I was lucky enough to come across a 2013 edition of the Combined Spare Parts Catalogue Retired Models (in English) on fleabay and get it shipped over, it is a handy source of info/part nos. for late pre-UCE Indian home market models not covered by our hosts' on-line parts books. Your inner chaincase is part no. 502028/A.

If you can't get hold of a copy of the parts book THIS might help for identifying home market parts.

http://www.jainenfield.com/sparecat.html

The the ignition is fixed mechanically, with the advance and retard taken care of electronically by the TCI box. Our hosts have stepped alternator rotor keys if you need to tweak the timing a little. I think Bullet Whisperer managed to drill and tap the outer chaincase of an Electra-X for an inspection plug to allow strobe timing checks, but if it's running fine I'd leave it be.

I suspect that as that Himalayan is a carburetor model the alternator is the same as on the 350 UCEs. They look very similar to the Electra-X (5 wire three phase) except that the stator has 18 instead of 12 coils, so it ought to chuck out a bit more power. They are still available, so it could be a good upgrade for an all DC charging system.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles